Thursday, May 7, 2015

Walking Boot and physical therapy

Once I had the cast taken off I finally got a good look at the incision site. Aside from the incision, tarsal coalition resection and fat graft, they also had to cut some muscle out of the way just under the stitches in my foot, which was sewn back together after resection. This would be a primary cause of minor to moderate pain for a while.

The photo to the right is of my foot with stitches removed, a few hours after the cast and stitches were removed. The bruising is normal for a cast and much of the dark area on the incision is the surgical pen used to mark patients for surgery.

I stood up and walked around VERY carefully as soon as I got home. It was only slightly painful standing, and at this point I hadn't taken any pain killer of any kind in about 5 days, so things weren't looking too bad. It was painful to bend my ankle as I had lots of bruising, weakness and tender spots. For the majority of the time I moved around, I had to be in a walking boot, and even then my physical therapists told me to continue using crutches to move around.


At 3 weeks and 2 days post-op, My pain in my right foot (surgery foot) is beginning to feel better than my left foot (non-surgery foot), but its really hard to tell since I use my left foot far more, to ensure I allow my right foot time to fully recover.

3 comments:

  1. Hi - are you based in Aust? I had a tarsal coalition resection on my right foot in 2005 when I was 17 and I was up and weight bearing, as soon as swelling went down and no cast. I thought fusion was the only time they wanted rest, as the bones need to heal...would love to hear your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the rest was only for the muscle to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you start off in a soft cast then did they put you into a boot? Please respond I am in my soft cast at the moment.

    ReplyDelete