Thursday, May 7, 2015

Foot in a cast, crutches are terrible

If you have never had surgery, I am sure someone can fill you in on the process. I showed up for surgery on 14 April 2015. After a couple hours I woke from anesthesia with no more tarsal coalition in my right foot.

IMPORTANT - My tarsal coalition is a Calcaneonavicular coalition. It was not a complete bar, as in the bones hadn't grown completely together. There was tissue connecting the bones which was removed, and some bone was removed as well, but not much. I also had a fat graft taken from my hip area. I had almost no pain at all after surgery (except from the stitches in my hip area) and for the next 2 weeks I was in my 3/4 cast.


The cast was hard only about 3/4 of the way around my foot (the front/top was only gauze wrap), I assume to allow for swelling. I had lots of gauze wrap which I began trimming off since it was getting warm. I spent lots of time wiggling my toes and flexing my calf to try and keep blood moving through my leg, and hopefully help the healing process. After 2 weeks, the cast came off.

No comments:

Post a Comment